Saturday, April 3, 2010

lately I've been looking at the work "type" and it's true meaning. it is still being used to describe the action when we hit letters on our computer keyboards though I think the word was developed in the days when we actually typed on a typewriter.
actors are always seeking roles to widen and develop their skills that are against type, as masterfully as Meryl does. single men and women deny potential mates because they are just not their type. yep, that's where I'm going...
these dating websites are the ideal place to meet your anti-type. when I get a wink or message I equate it as a wrapped gift box. I see the message in my inbox and excitedly click to open or unwrap it, hoping that inside is a note and picture of the PERFECT man.( now those of us that have been around the block a few times know that I'm not meaning George Clooney, 'cause he really does not exist. some women may think they have a George Clooney, but they're just blind. he only exists safely in our fantasies...) needless to say, 98% of the wrapped gift boxes are filled with lumps of coal. twenty three year-old lumps of coal who are looking to settle down, third world country lumps of coal who propose marriage, and many, waaay too many, anti-types lumps of coal.
I quickly developed a more open approach. men without three heads,
five chins and Coke-bottle glasses, I actually take a quick gander at their profile.
the guy I mentioned last time emailed me first. again, not George, but there was something very honest, humbling and kind in his email. we did have a second date and as I sat across the table from him listening to him talk, I still wondered where, if anyplace, this would lead. I am experimenting with the anti-type for sure. he dresses like a suburban insurance salesman. he's not very tall. he owns three homes and two cars, one of them being a Porsche Boxster. nothing there is my type. he's kind, funny, and has his shit together. gross. where is the poor musician who needs help and a shoulder and wallet to lean on?
I am working hard at looking at my "type" and what joys it has brought me over the past fifty years. drama and pain come to mind a lot, and of course my two amazing daughters, of which I could not live without.
the children I am blessed to have, the drama and pain I am seriously considering giving up. look at Meryl's success with the anti-type.
oh, and one more thing, never underestimate the power of a kiss. I went for it when he dropped me off in his fancy sports car knowing this would be a sign to see if there would ever be a third date. there will be, since now the definition of my "type"seems more blurred than ever.

2 comments: